The Government of Canada will establish an open data institute to support collaboration with the private sector, civil society, academia, and other levels of government to promote the commercialization of open data.
• Establish an open data institute in Canada (the Canadian Open Data Exchange, or ODX), as a national marketplace that includes an online community for those engaged in the commercialization of open data. ODX will undertake the following in collaboration with governments, civil society organizations, and private industry:
- Developing new tools and applications that access and manipulate government data;
- Establishing a framework for open data standards, including the articulation of industry standards for presenting, and providing access to open data for key sectors;
- Consulting with industry champions on the development of demonstration projects for the commercialization of open data in priority sectors;
- Launching a national outreach program, including events, workshops, hackathons, and student contest opportunities nationwide; and
- Incubating new data-driven companies.
Tuesday, July 1, 2014
Thursday, June 30, 2016