Short-Term Consultant – Evaluation of OGP Events
Terms of Reference
Submission deadline: August 16, 2019
Since its founding in 2011, the Open Government Partnership has hosted 6 global summits and 9 regional meetings, as well as other thematic and regional events to further the goals of open government. OGP is now seeking to evaluate our events to learn what we’re doing well and how we can improve so that OGP events remain engaging and innovative opportunities to facilitate peer learning, the exchange of ideas, and high level political engagement. The information collected and recommendations made through this evaluation process will be used to revise the OGP Event Requirements used by the OGP Support Unit and host countries to plan OGP events and inform resource allocation around OGP events.
Activities, Timeline and Deliverables
The evaluation is expected to take a minimum of 170 hours between August – November 2019. The consultant will conduct approximately 50 phone interviews with various stakeholders, including OGP Support Unit staff, Steering Committee members, representatives from previous OGP host governments, and event attendees. The consultant will also have access to and be requested to review data from surveys conducted after the most recent OGP events. Based on these interviews and survey data, the final deliverable is a brief evaluation document (no more than 15 pages) which analyzes the experience and outcomes of recent OGP events and makes recommendations for maximizing intended outcomes at future OGP events. These recommendations are also to be presented in slidedeck form to relevant OGP staff in the final stage of the evaluation. The target audience for this evaluation and the recommendations is the OGP Support Unit, OGP Steering Committee, and future OGP event hosts.
|Phase||Timeframe||Hours (estimated)||Activities and Deliverables|
|1: Evaluation Planning||August||10 hours||The consultant will work with OGP staff to further define the evaluation process, including interviewees, questions, format, etc.|
|2: Conduct Interviews and Review Existing Survey Data||September – October||60 hours
|The consultant will set up and conduct up to 50 phone interviews with OGP stakeholders and maintain regular contact with OGP staff on progress.
The consultant will review survey results from recent OGP event attendee surveys.
|3: Analyze Results||October – November||80 hours||The consultant will analyze and consolidate interview findings to finalize the evaluation document and make recommendations for future OGP events.|
|4: Finalize Evaluation||Mid- November||10 hours||The consultant will present the findings with a complementary slidedeck and debrief with OGP staff and then work with them to finalize the evaluation document.|
Terms of the Consultancy
- The consultant should be ready to start in August and complete the assignment by mid-November 2019
- The consultant can be based anywhere, as long as they are able and willing to conduct interviews and participate in virtual meetings across different time zones and have good access to the internet
- The consultant will report to the Senior Events Officer and Deputy CEO and will maintain regular communication with the Senior Events Officer to report on progress while carrying out the review
Qualifications, Requirements, and Skills
- Experience designing and conducting executing monitoring, evaluation and learning practices, ideally for international organizations
- Understanding of the government transparency and accountability field
- Excellent people skills and ability to quickly gain the trust and confidence of interviewees members to allow for valuable data collection
- The ideal candidate will be familiar with and have attended at least one recent OGP regional meeting or global summit
How to Apply
We thank applicants in advance for their expressions of interest. Please submit the following to Meghan Wallace (email@example.com) by August 16, 2019 and add ‘OGP Events Evaluation’ to the subject of your email.
- 1-page outline with initial ideas on how to design the interviews and evaluation, as well as information on your experience and engagement with OGP and attendance at our events in the past
- Current CV, including your requested daily rate