Local Roundup | August 2023
Here’s our monthly roundup of updates from the OGP Local community for August 2023.
- The mid-year OGP Local POC & CSO meeting was held last month, where members shared the progress of their open government initiatives.
- Basque Country, Spain, launched the iLab | Euskadi Space for Innovation in Participation after five years of a collaborative process within their OGP Local action plan.
- Open government reformers in Santa Catarina, Brazil, and Nuevo León, Mexico, met to share their experiences on the implementation of their OGP action plans.
EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES
- Bogota, Colombia, carried out the International Congress of Participatory Budgets. Watch more here. They also held the “Local Innovation, participate and improve your city” forum, with guests from Brazil, Argentina, Chile, and others. Learn about their efforts to become a smarter and more open government here.
- The Ministry of National Development Planning in Indonesia visited West Sumbawa Regency and West Nusa Tenggara to learn about the progress of their OGP action plans. Both members are ready to share their experiences at the OGP Global Summit.
- The NGO Dean Initiative has been running workshops to introduce Nigerian Area Councils into the OGP Local action model.
- The signatory Cities of the Declaration of Buenos Aires, which aims to strengthen open government mechanisms for action climate, met the OGP Local Circle on Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) leaders to discuss the impact of open government in the 2030 agenda. Watch the recording here.
- For the second consecutive year, Buenos Aires leads the Open Data ranking in Argentina.
- The City of São Paulo, Brazil, presented 15 projects that use the GeoSampa portal, the largest official data platform in the city, as part of their commitment to promote an open government to citizens.
- Rosario, Argentina, hosted the presentation of the Spanish translation of “Data Feminism” by Catherine D’Ignazio y Lauren F. Klein. The book is available here.
- Chihuahua, Mexico, presented the progress and results of their open government action plan to different international governments.
- The Governor of Elgeyo Marakwet County Kenya, Wesley Rotich, and part of the County open government team visited the OGP Kenya booth during the Devolution Conference.
- The OGP Local call for new members will open soon! Access all the necessary information to prepare your application here.
- A Political Trojan’s Horse: How Agora’s Hack Allowed Citizens to Directly Shape Legislation, by Michaël Damman and Ana Adzersen, Brussels Citizens’ Assembly