smart cities youth start ups (SEO0007)
Support youth startups in the field of smart cities
- Find promising smart city related ICT startups founded by young people, form a consultative body to help overseas advancement of their business and provide opportunities for them to participate in international ICT conferences, seminars and exhibition so they can market their products globally.
- Publish all information pertaining to rules and regulations, provide incentives to startups including the opportunities to participate in conferences and promote their products globally online and make the information easy and accessible to everyone.
- Make a framework to allow startups to provide feedback to SMG and other relevant stakeholders on the policies they are affected by and require the relevant authorities to consider and respond to their feedback.
○ Main objective
- Form and operate a startup consultative body for overseas advancement.
- Share SMG’s connections and knowledge on foreign cities and companies with the startups.
- Support the startups to participate in global business events such as MWC, Dream Force, 4YFN
- Promote the culture of starting a business through the private-public cooperation.
○ Status quo
- Even though the startups founded by young people have competitive technologies, it’s hard for them to expand their business globally due to lack of experience and money.
- Startups who desire to expand their business overseas through the SMG’s global network have increased.
- As domestic regulation for business is not likely to improve at a fast pace, Koreans startups’ global competitiveness has decreased. Therefore, it is necessary for young startups to expand their business to developing countries which have less regulation and more opportunities.
- The SMG has already been operating a consultative body for small and mid-sized ICT companies in the field of smart city technology, but it’s hard for young and small startups to join the existing consultative body.
- It is necessary to improve synergies by forging partnership between the new consultative body for youth startup and the existing consultative body for small and mid-sized ICT companies.
2. Support youth startups in the field of smart cities.
Name and contact information of responsible department/team Jeyin Lee, Information Planning Division
(Tel.02-2133-2924, e-mail. firstname.lastname@example.org)
Other involved actors Government
Civil Society, Private Sector Airblack, Widebrain, Doodler, Smart&Play, Merry KING
Status quo or problem/issue to be addressed ○ Many youth startups have competitive technologies and services. However, due to lack of resources and experience, they often face difficulties expanding their business globally
Main Objective ○ Form and operate a Youth Startup Consultative Body for Overseas Advancement
○ Make synergies by forging a partnership between the Youth Startup Consultative Body for Overseas Advancement and the Smart City Council for Small and Mid-sized Companies
Brief Description of Commitment ○ Launch and manage the Youth Startup Consultative Body for Overseas Advancement
○ Provide opportunities for them to participate in international ICT
conferences, seminars and exhibitions so they can market their
○ Publish all information including the opportunities to participate in conferences and to promote their products globally online and make the information easy and accessible to everyone
○ Make a framework to allow startups to provide feedback to SMG and other relevant stakeholders on the policies they are affected by and require the relevant authorities to consider and respond to their feedback
Please describe the way in which this commitment is relevant to further advancing OGP values of access to information [ ]Transparency [ ]Accountability [○]Citizen Participation [○]Technology & Innovation
Verifiable and measurable milestones to fulfil the commitment New or ongoing commitment Start Date: End Date:
1. Form a Youth Startup Consultative Body for Overseas Advancement in the field of smart cities
- Recruit 5 ~ 10 startups interested in overseas advancement New Oct. 2018
2. Make a promotional kit for participating startups
- Design and publish English booklets and proposals which consist of startups’ ICT solutions and services New Nov. 2018 Feb. 2020
3. Participate in conferences and roadshows etc. and visit target cities
- Business matchmaking, promotion, etc New
March. 2018 Dec. 2018
Seoul, South Korea's Commitments
SEO0005, 2018, E-Government
SEO0006, 2018, Capacity Building
smart cities youth start ups
SEO0007, 2018, E-Government
Analyze data to resolve urban problems in Seoul through cooperative governance with civil society
SEO0001, 2017, Open Data
Strengthen the accountability of the Seoul Metropolitan Government by sharing public information with its citizens in a timely and swift manner.
SEO0002, 2017, E-Government
Promote crowdsourcing map-making by facilitating the environment for citizens to make their own urban-life maps.
SEO0003, 2017, Capacity Building
Provide more transparent meeting information and minutes.
SEO0004, 2017, Capacity Building