United Kingdom Mid-Term Report 2016-2018
- Action Plan: United Kingdom – Third National Action Plan 2016-18
- Dates Under Review: July 2016 – June 2017
- Report Publication Year: 2018
- Researcher: Ben Worthy
Commitments in the United Kingdom’s third action plan have lowered ambition in relation to previous action plans. Institutional and political changes in the country have impacted its level of completion.
|✪ 8. Well-being of Future Generations Act – National Indicators for Wales||Involve civil society and other bodies in publishing indicators and goals on the 2015 Well-being of Future Generations Act.||
|✪ 9. Well-being duty on specified public bodies in Wales||Implement the Well-being of Future Generations Act at the local level.||
* Commitment is evaluated by the IRM as specific, relevant, and has a transformative potential impact
✪ Commitment is evaluated by the IRM as being specific, relevant, potentially transformative, and substantially or fully implemented
The third action plan was implemented amid considerable upheaval in British politics following the UK’s referendum to leave the European Union in June 2016. The UK government and devolved governments continued their relatively successful process of consultation with regular and detailed meetings and publications, and frequent updates.
|The United Kingdom did not act contrary to OGP process
A country is considered to have acted contrary to process if one or more of the following occurs:
The UK received two starred commitments (commitments 8 and 9 from Wales). While Wales’ commitments are (bar one) substantially complete or fully complete, the other commitments still require significant effort.
- A Parliamentary committee (and respective other devolved equivalents) to oversee transparency policies.
- High Profile Intervention or an event in support of the OGP process.
- A focus on more information and data on the impact of Brexit on everyday life.
- Continue to experiment with new ways of engaging CSOs.
- High profile cross-cutting ‘signature’ reforms that are cross-cutting and high-profile (of a kind seen in the third action plan such as Beneficial ownership).