The Beneficial Ownership Leadership Group came together in 2019 to drive the global policy shift towards free, open beneficial ownership data. By joining the Beneficial Ownership Leadership Group each country signs up to a set of best practice disclosure principles. Convened by Open Ownership and Open Government Partnership, the group is comprised of Armenia, Kenya, Latvia, Mexico and the Slovak Republic.
- Publishing company beneficial ownership data that is freely downloadable, searchable, and reusable by the public, without a fee, proprietary software, or the need for registration.
- Implementing progressively ambitious best practice in beneficial ownership transparency, across technical, legislative, regulatory, and administrative parameters.
- Committing resources to enable improvements and iterations to data quality and standardisation.
- Contributing to the building of best practice, including by recognising the evolving illicit finance threat and considering implementing beneficial ownership transparency beyond companies to a wider group of assets classes.
- Working in partnership with civil society and enabling their role as watchdogs and users of the data.
- Engaging other partners, including governments and international institutions, to advance the objective of making beneficial ownership transparency a global norm; and
- Contributing to evaluation and impact assessment of our shared approach.
Announcements and updates
Beneficial Ownership Fact Sheet
Snapshot of global progress and member-level examples of beneficial ownership work in OGP
Global Report – Beneficial Ownership
Beneficial ownership transparency has emerged as an essential means for combating corruption, stemming illicit financial flows, and fighting tax evasion.